Someone sent me these questions about life purpose:
- Why is it important to know your Life’s Purpose?
- What value does that bring to a person’s every day life?
- Can a person’s Life Purpose change?
- How do you know if it has changed?
- Can a person be full even if they don’t have a Life’s Purpose?
related: How To Avoid Failure
Below are my reply:
#1 Why is it important to know your Life’s Purpose?
Life purpose is where we get the “drive” to pursue what we want to be, the “strength” that will keep us focused in the midst of life “storms”. It is also the “force” that will keep us motivated even though there is apparent failure.
Life purpose is also called “calling” or “destiny”. An element of “Spiritual Intelligence” is needed to understand your purpose. You can determine your purpose in life with the following:
- Your connection w/ the God. If you have regular conversation w/ God (prayer and Bible reading), He will tell you your life purpose. Jer. 29:11 said “for I know the plans I have for you….”
- Take up an inventory of your God given gifts, or some call it, “genetically encoded abilities”.
“Acquired” abilities are gained thru education/training/practice, while genetically encoded abilities are with you by birth.
- Recognize the desires of your heart, in the domain of “becoming”what” (not “where” you want to be or what you want to gain)
#2 What value does that bring to a person’s every day life?
Let me answer this with this analogy. “If the shoe does not fit, it hurts”.
Deep in us, we know if we are supposed to be in our purpose. Behind the image of success brought about by fame or wealth, when we are alone, or awake in the middle of the night, we still feel something is lacking, there’s still an emptiness.
#3 & 4 Can a person’s Life Purpose change? How do you know if it has changed?
Hmmm….. it is predetermined before we are born. But a purpose in life is not necessarily a job, and job changes is not a changed of purpose. A purpose in life revolves around “becoming the who/person” and the “do/job” emanates from the “who”.
Good Read: HR is a Spiritual Profession
#5 Can a person be full even if they don’t have a Life’s Purpose?
It is possible for a person to “look” successful, even though s/he is not in sync with his calling. Please refer to my answer on #2
The consequence for pursuing a person’s purpose in life
- On society: Other people’s need(s) are met
- Personally: A sense of fulfilment, peace, satisfaction and joy that emanates from within.. “if the shoe does not fit, you can pretend that all is ok, but you can feel your feet is aching.
- Work life-balance or work life integration is realizized
Do you know your purpose in life?