Update: Watch the videos at Cyberbullying Vids At The 19th STI National Youth Convention
From November last year to March of 2014, we’ve been to Baguio, Cebu, Bacolod, Ilo-ilo, Aliw Theater for 4 days, Gen. Santos, Davao, Cagayan De Oro, Naga and Puerto Princesa to have fun with the youth, at the same time educate them of the skills they need pertaining to the use of social media both inside and outside the campus. To be proactive not only in their studies and future career, but in life in general.
I was asked to give the keynote address about Bullying and Cyber Abuse Prevention. Presenting before young people is fun, haha. An out of the box approach is a must to convey the importance of online privacy, to be aware of social engineers, be a critical thinker, a.k.a., one step back two steps forward and to be value adding when using social media s tool.
The National Youth Convention is one of STI’s student program being held annually for the last 19 years. It’s original objectives are as follows:
- Provide STI Students of the latest trends in the world of ICT
- Give additional information on things not taught in the classroom
- To help STI appreciate & acquire better understanding of their courses
- To serve as migration tool for STI Schools
The objectives evolved since then as the school respond to the changing needs of the academic and professional environment, as well as to make it’s students competitive.
It was a fun ride, needless to say. I was impressed with the various programs, both academic and extra curricular, that seek to
- Improve the quality of students
- Improve the learning environment
- Equip the students of skills they need to succeed in finding employment.
- Tie-up with companies to facilitate employment.
In fact, the acquisition of West Negros University and Philippine Women’s University is a proof of their determination to make an impact on the academic community.
The people we worked with are equally impressive with their dedication, hard work and attitude. Mhel, JB, Flor, Jenny, Ysa and Doc Lloyd. I wish you guys success in all your plans and programs. And thank you for the opportunity to be of value to STI.
Here are some of the pics of the recently concluded 19th National Youth Convention courtesy of STI:
Generated by Facebook Photo Fetcher 2
Some notable historical facts of the NYC. The National Youth Convention was known then as The STI Annual IT Convention
- 1995 – 2000 STI Annual IT Convention:
- The convention also had a Job fair and trade exhibit at the PICC and was held in Manila only.
- The convention had Two IT topics.
- It was only in the third year that some sites outside Metro Manila was added
- 2001 -2003 – National IT Convention
- The student’s convention was combined with the IT Caravan for HS Students.
- The team also had radio tours, press conferences and school tours with the guest artist.
- 2004 – Since STI was now starting to offer other courses the IT topics were lessened and the NITC was renamed to the National Youth Convention
- 2005 -2010 – NYC Partnerships – to be able to see how other elite companies operate, the NYC partnered with reputable companies to highlight advances in their respective fields like Globe Telecoms (2x – 11th & 15th) SMART (12th), Google (13th) and Microsoft (16th).
- 2011 – 17th NYC – For the first time the NYC did not have any IT Topic
- 2012 – 18th NYC – STI partnered with ABS-CBN for a grand convention. It also served as the launch of Boto mo Patrollers.
Founder of LODI Inc. (Learning and Organization Development Institute, Inc.) and Co-Founder of Blogwatch. Mentor and Dad of 2 Gen Z Professionals.
Advocate of #HRinHR (Human Rights in Human Resources) and #DigitalCitizenship
Strategist for Talent, Culture & Content Development, and Cyber Wellness Initiatives
Keynoter and Facilitator of Workplace and Life Learning
Blogging since 2004.