My first attempt to do webcast is on 2010, and “Personal Branding” is the first one I produced.
Check this out
Personal note: I’m a proponent of personal branding bec. on 2008, an opportunity to become an Asst. Vice President presented itself. A head hunter discovered my blog via search engine, and my linkedIn profile.
Personal branding is about you, and how you are known by people. It was not a biggie then, but with the advent of social web, it has become a marketing tool for professionals. Social web made it convenient for both professionals and headhunters to find each other. With a little SEO, content marketing, digital presence on key social networking sites, you can position your brand the way you want to. However, branding, is open to deception. A brand can project an image that is not accurate. It takes character to keep your image on the realm of integrity. So what are my observations 2 years (2012) after I made the slidecast/video?
- More people get into personal branding now, specially freelancers and young professionals to be discovered for a high paying job or project.
- Early adopters of social media and those that use personal branding made it big in their career and/or freelance biz.
- Late adopters misconstrue spamming for strategic posting.
- You can’t avoid tooting your own horn (unless you have a PR firm doing it for you)
- The numbers game became one of the barometer for popularity, though numbers (likes, followers) can be bought.
- The offline component, at least in the Philippines, still holds weight because majority of decision makers are not “online”. They rely on the old school background checking and referral.
- The brand that appeals to the millennial generation, can be a social media rock star, and receive endorsement offers
- The brand that targets corporate requirements (consultancy and training), need a mix of online and offline strategy.
- Those who were noticed are in the forefront of every hot issue.
- A brand can lose its credibility for sponsored content, on certain occasions.
I will update this post to keep it relevant to the times. Are you into personal branding too? Care to share your personal experience?