How to transition your department from HR 1.0 to HR 2.0: Strategic HR
Update September 3, 2011:
grab a copy of the power point presentation about strategic hr, presented by Ed Ebreo in our recent learning EB co presented by WSPH, HR Philippines, ExeQserve and Yahama Motor Phil. Inc
There is much talk about HR 2.0 or the Strategic HR role , but in reality, HR is still caught in it’s transactional functions, these are:
- Timekeeping and Payroll
- Control and Admin Procedure
- Company Orientations
- And to some extent, Medical Services.
Level 1: Information Management and Basic Transactions
- Processing of new-hire documentation, payroll, separations and benefits enrolment and changes
- Providing answers to employee and manager questions pertaining to policy, benefits, employment law
Level 2: Providing Functional Services
- The formation of standardized processes and policies for requesting more staff, developing staff, compensating staff, and performance management.
- Basic reporting on the status of talent management efforts
Level 3: Coordination of Efforts to Improve Productivity
- Development of tools and strategies to retain key employees
- The redeployment of employees from areas of low business impact to high
- The introduction of non-monetary motivation and recognition systems
- Usage of workforce analytics or metrics
- Coordinated efforts for knowledge capture, sharing, and management
Level 4: Development of Competitive Advantage Through Talent
- Competitive analysis of people programs found in competing organizations
- Workforce planning and productivity forecasting
- Employment branding
- Competitive intelligence gathering
Level 5: Develops Solutions to Strategic Business Problems and Opportunities
- HR involvement in turnaround swat teams
- HR consultation in product design and development efforts
- Analysis of workforce management impact on time-to-market and innovation
- Management of performance culture
- HR involvement in merger and acquisition planning
Please visit Dr. Sullivan’s site to read the complete article at http://www.drjohnsullivan.com/
After learning of the different levels. what is your department’s strategic level now?
Founder of LODI Inc. (Learning and Organization Development Institute, Inc.) and Co-Founder of Blogwatch. Mentor and Dad of 2 Gen Z Professionals.
Advocate of #HRinHR (Human Rights in Human Resources) and #DigitalCitizenship
Strategist for Talent, Culture & Content Development, and Cyber Wellness Initiatives
Keynoter and Facilitator of Workplace and Life Learning
Blogging since 2004.